Restore Your Freedom

Disorders of the pelvic floor are common with sufferers experiencing a loss of freedom and control

Who to see

If you have bowel continence problems there are professionals you can talk to and continence services that will give you help, advice, diagnosis and treatment.

First visit

Ordinarily, your general practice or healthcare centre will be the first place to go to. You can talk to your family doctor or practice nurse about any bowel control problems.

Women can talk to a gynaecologist about exercises to help the pelvic floor and maintaining good bowel control, especially during pregnancy and after childbirth.

If you need a home visit, your general practice can send a healthcare professional, such as your GP or a community nurse.

During this first visit your symptoms will be assessed.

If you are experiencing mild symptoms your GP or nurse practitioner may offer treatment which could include diet, exercises and/or medications.

Referrals for bowel incontinence

You may be referred to a physiotherapist or continence care clinic where a specialist healthcare professional will assess your symptoms and help you with treatments for bowel incontinence. This could be a specialist physiotherapist or a Continence nurse advisor.

If you're pregnant or have a pregnancy-related problem, you might be referred to a gynaecologist or obstetrician.

If your problem stems from your gut itself, your doctor will send you to a gastroenterologist.

If you require surgery, you'll see a surgeon such as a colorectal surgeon.

Overview of specialties

(External links will open in a new window. New terms and conditions will apply when you leave this website)

General Practice/family doctor

Nursing and continence care

Continence nurses and colorectal nurse specialists work both in hospitals and community and can do assessments and provide help with diet, exercise and some treatments.

Exercise and Diet

Physiotherapists and specialist physiotherapists are people who can help with specific exercises for the pelvic muscles and with advice on daily exercise routines.

Dietitians and nutritionists can give specialist and general diet and nutrition advice and plans to help resolve bowel incontinence.

Pregnancy and childbirth, gynaecology

Women will see a gynaecologist and obstetrician during their pregnancy, both of whom can help with continence care advice and assessment.

Specialist healthcare professionals

Bowel Incontinence specialties include gastroenterology, proctology and colorectal surgery.

© 2018 Medtronic - This Web site and its content are provided by Medtronic Australasia for general information purposes only.