Restore Your Freedom

Disorders of the pelvic floor are common with sufferers experiencing a loss of freedom and control

Who to see

If you have bladder continence problems there are professionals you can talk to and urinary continence services that will give you help, advice, diagnosis and treatment.

Usually the first place to go is your local health service, such as your general practice. You can talk to your family doctor or practice nurse about any bladder control problems.

Women can talk to a gynaecologist about exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor and maintaining good bladder control. These exercises are especially important during pregnancy and after childbirth.

If you can't get to your doctor's office, your general practice can arrange for a visit from a healthcare professional, such as your GP or a community nurse.

First visit

During the first visit your symptoms will be assessed. If you are experiencing mild symptoms your GP or nurse practitioner may offer treatment which could include diet, exercises and/or medications.

Referrals for bladder incontinence

You may be referred to a physiotherapist or continence care clinic where a specialist healthcare professional will assess your symptoms and help you with treatments for bladder incontinence. This could be a specialist physiotherapist or a Continence nurse advisor.

If you are pregnant or have a pregnancy-related problem, you might go to a gynaecologist or obstetrician.

If you need a consultant's assessment, your healthcare adviser will send you to a urologist. If you need surgery, you'll be seen by a urological surgeon.

(External links will open in a new window. New terms and conditions will apply when you leave this website)

General Practice/family doctor

Nursing and continence care

Continence nurses and nurse specialists work both in hospitals and the community.

Urology nurses work with urological consultants and urogynaecological nurses in the gynaecological specialty. Nurses can do assessments and provide help with some treatments.

Exercise and Diet

Physiotherapists help with specific exercises for the pelvic muscles and daily exercise routines.

Nutritionists and dietitians help with dietary advice and nutrition plans to help resolve bladder incontinence.

Pregnancy and childbirth, gynaecology

Women will see a gynaecologist and obstetrician during their pregnancy, both of whom can help with bladder continence care advice and assessment, as can a urogynaecologist.

Consultants and specialist physicians

Urinary incontinence specialists include urologists and urological surgeons. The specialism is also known as genitourinary medicine and includes both urinary and reproductive specialists.

© 2018 Medtronic - This Web site and its content are provided by Medtronic Australasia for general information purposes only.